Panax ginseng is one of the most popular ingredients in male enhancement supplements because of its efficacy in several ways.
Manufacturers, however, use different formulations (i.e., ratio between panax ginseng and the rest of the ingredients) so consumers should be vigilant about reading the nutrition label for the optimum ratio.
Ginseng refers to eleven species of slow-growing perennial plants characterized by fleshy roots that can resemble the human form.
The plant belongs to the Panax genus of the Araliaceae family with concentrations in North America, and Asia specifically Korea, Bhuta, eastern Siberia, and northeast China. The species thrives in cooler climates.
It must be emphasized that Siberian ginseng may belong to the Araliaceae family but not to the Panax genus, thus, its classification as not being a true ginseng.
It is, however, also considered an adaptogenic herb with eleutherosides as its active compounds and with a woody root.
When used for medicinal purposes, the root is usually in dried form as is the case for male enhancement supplements.
The root can also be steeped in liquid with the resulting solution used as a tonic for a wide range of uses ranging from cure for male sexual dysfunction to treatment for diabetes especially in traditional Chinese medicine.
The leaves may be used but not as commonly as the root.
Aside from male enhancement supplements, panax ginseng has several applications in other products because of its efficacy in boosting energy, soothing the nervous system, and decreasing blood sugar levels, among others.
These products include herbal teas and coffees, energy drinks, and even cosmetic preparations.
As an ingredient in male enhancement supplements, panax ginseng contains ginsenosides and gintonin. These are active complex carbohydrates proven to contribute toward:
- Improving muscle tone
- Soothing the nervous system
- Balancing metabolic processes
- Decreasing blood sugar levels
- Stimulating the endocrine system
- Increasing resistance to physical, biological and chemical stress
- Supporting the body’s normal functions
It must be noted that panax ginseng is considered as an adaptogen because of its capacity to support the body’s health especially against the impact of natural aging and environmental stress.
Keep in mind, too, that the above mentioned actions of ginsenosides and gintonin are important in sexual function.
For example, male sexual function is adversely affected by physical, biological and chemical stress so the decrease of its impact on the body will contribute to the increase of sexual desire and performance.
Studies have also shown that the proper use of panax ginseng in male enhancement supplements can contribute to the:
- Increase in sexual vitality particularly in increased sperm production;
- Decrease in the symptoms of erectile dysfunction, such as larger, firmer and longer-lasting erections with fewer instances of premature ejaculation;
- Improved male fertility support as evidenced by higher sperm counts and greater sperm motility
Panax ginseng also has other applications that have direct or indirect impact on male sexual desire, performance and satisfaction. These applications include:
- Alcohol intoxication by lowering blood alcohol absorption and content in the stomach
- Heart disease reduction of risks by increasing beneficial HDL cholesterol and decreasing harmful LDL cholesterol levels (more about good/bad cholesterol levels you can read here)
- Immune system improvement by helping the body fight off diseases including infections
- Stress management effectiveness by helping the body deal with stress
For example, alcohol consumption and heart disease hamper blood flow into the blood vessels and, thus, into the penis.
Herbalists recommend taking only standardized panax ginseng supplements. The recommended daily dosages are:
- 1,000-2,000 milligrams for the fresh root;
- 600-2,000 milligrams for dried root;
- 200-600 milligrams for liquid extract
These dosages are for two weeks on panax ginseng and then two weeks off and so on and so forth. When taking panax ginseng-infused male enhancement supplements, these dosages will not apply; just follow the recommended manufacturer’s dosage for best results.
Panax ginseng is generally safe to use for people in good health but it may be necessary to consult with a medical doctor when prescriptions medications are also being taken or with an underlying health condition (e.g., manic disorder).